Kids Snowshoes are devices kids use to walk more easily on surfaces where it has snowed. Although they have been around for a long time, it has been more than anything during the last three decades that their use has become popular.
You can learn to use the snowshoe in a concise amount of time. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t spend a little more time relating to this kids snowshoes mainly if you want to find the best fit and exact model for your kid. To make your search easier, we have summarized all the essential details here.
- Kids Snowshoes offer the possibility of walking on the snow. This is possible thanks to the fact that its surface is much larger, compared to that of conventional hiking boots.
- Snowshoes and jetskis are designed to be used on a specific type of snow. Likewise, these must be used following a particular technique, which adapts depending on whether you walk on slopes or on flat terrain.
- There are three basic elements that you should look out for when looking for snowshoes. They are its floating surface, its load capacity, and the fixing system that they bring.
The best kids snowshoes on the market
The variety of models of snowshoes available today can make it difficult for you to find the pair that best suits your kids needs. For this reason, thinking about the value of your time, we have prepared a list of the best three kids snowshoes on the market today.
Crescent Moon Lightweight Kids Snowshoes for Boys and Girls
The kids’ snowshoe, shaped like a canoe, is resistant and light. Thanks to the fact that it is made of foam (expandable polymer). This product has Dimensions: 17.5″ x 7″; 1.75 lbs and a quick-release buckle system for the heel (ideal for ascents).
Those who have bought these kids snowshoes, comment that, in effect, they comply with the load support that the product packaging announces. Serious traction with durable rubber lugs and optional ice cleats for hard-pack & icy conditions. These kids snowshoes come with a storage bag for easy portability.
Tubbs Kids’ Snowflake Snowshoe
The Tubbs Elite kids snowshoes stand out for their flexibility. It is the product of the carbon reinforcements from which its casing is made. These guarantee a superior grip.
|Maximum Weight Recommendation||50 Pounds|
|Closure Type||Hook and Loop|
- Great starter snowshoe for kids
- Good for ages 3-6
- Easy to use 2-step binding
- Includes sticker pack
- Ideal weight range: under 50 lbs.
Users positively reviewed these kids snowshoes. It is because they allow an always precise fixation. Finally, another aspect appreciated by the public is the easy ascent risers for the slopes of this model. They can be adjusted without the need to bend down.
Redfeather Snowshoes Kids’ Snow Paw
The Redfeather kids snowshoes are for ultralight snow (1.8 kg) and are made of Vinyl, Aluminum. They have superior traction to navigate rough terrain and slopes. In addition, they have a stabilizing adjustment for the heel, that helps to facilitate ascents.
The users of this shoe think that they are quite comfortable and safe, thanks to the fact that their fastening system is made up of strong straps. Its design, which has become less wide since previous versions gained traction, also draws attention. It is recommended not to use them with heavier weights.
What you should know about kids snowshoes
Knowing well the equipment necessary to practice any outdoor activity is crucial to minimize the risk of accidents. As the same thing happens with kids snowshoes, here we leave you the essential questions that you must handle about their operation. Also, the security measures to follow when using them.
Snowshoes have a simple structure, consisting mainly of four elements. They are the shell, the crampons or ‘grip teeth’, the risers, and the strap to fix the boot. Each of these elements plays a critical role in providing proper buoyancy and stability for the walker.
How are kids snowshoes used?
Using snowshoes is relatively easy. On flat surfaces, you should walk with your legs slightly apart, but without arching them. And passing one racket over the other, avoiding crashing them. If you want to walk faster, it is recommended to lean slightly forward.
On slopes, the situation varies. When going up a slope, it is best to walk in a zigzag. If you go up, you have to lean on your toes (you can wear your heels loose or with the risers in a support position to facilitate the ascent). On descents, the walker must lean on their heels. In both cases, it is advisable to ensure that the fastening system is properly adjusted.
What kind of snowshoes are there?
Snowshoes are mainly classified according to their shape. Currently, up to three types of snowshoe structures can be found on the market. These types are:
- Tennis racket: Oval in shape and with an extension or ‘tail’ at the rear. Such a tail serves as a counterweight or holds the rackets as if they were a handle. Recent archaeological evidence suggests that this model, in its rudimentary form, already existed about 6,000 years ago.
- Oval and asymmetric racket: Consisting of a wide base, which is widened towards the outside (especially on the sides). It is useful for powder or sand-type snow, but it is not recommended for use on crusty-type snow.
- Alert-shaped racket: Aerodynamic, slim model that offers an efficient balance between good buoyancy and lightweight. This type of snowshoe is currently the most popular on the market.
In recent years, the trend in snowshoe design is to decrease surface area, use lighter materials, and improve traction. For this reason, it is not uncommon to get light rackets less than 40 cm long.
What are the risks when using kids snowshoes?
In most cases, snowshoeing is a low-intensity exercise. However, this hobby can pose some potential risks. This is why it is recommended to verify, at least 24 hours before, the weather conditions that will exist in the area where we plan to take a tour.
Snowshoeing accidents almost always have to do with terrain conditions. Also with the lack of preparation of the users. The main risks are:
- Suffer falls/injuries: This can happen if you go up or down slopes without resting your foot on the precise point of the racket. Also if you walk on solid snow or ice, or if the boots are not attached to the snowshoes properly.
- Accidents related to landslides or avalanches: To avoid this risk, it is necessary that the organizer of the route is informed about the stability of the terrain. Also about the incidence of avalanches in that area.
- Low lighting/temperature drop: When night falls, the temperature and lighting conditions drop suddenly. For this reason, you should always try to make tours in the early hours and within manageable distances.
What are the advantages of using snowshoes?
Kids Snowshoes are quite versatile commuting equipment. They can be a pleasant source of entertainment during the winter months. Learn here what are the advantages and disadvantages of using them:
- Allows you to move through the snow without sinking your boots
- Snowshoes can usually be found in an affordable price range
- Contributes to the development of motor adaptation
- No long apprenticeship is required to start snowshoeing
- It has a low impact on the legs, as long as it is practiced mostly on flat ground or using models with risers
- If you buy special rackets for running, you can run on snow
- Walking using kids snowshoes is a leisure activity that the whole family can do with their little ones.
- Snowshoes are not suitable for walking on very hard snow or on ice
- It is not possible to slide downhill with these rackets like with skis or snowboards.
- In snowy terrain with unfavorable conditions, you have to use snowshoes and walking sticks. This implies an additional cost.
There are many resorts where it is possible to rent snowshoes and poles. Renting this equipment will give you a more accurate idea of whether you like this activity enough to buy your own rackets.
What sports activities can be practiced using snowshoes?
Modern snowshoes have been around for at least half a century. However, the popularization of its use has occurred relatively recently. And, as a result of this, there are now different snow racing competitions. Such races take place over distances of up to several kilometers.
On the other hand, hiking and trekking, other very popular activities, allow you to explore nature and have a better understanding of it. These two hobbies can be combined with the observation of flora and fauna, with the use of binoculars or monoculars.
If one is willing to do a tour or any other sports activity in the mountains, it is preferable to do it in a group to increase safety.
What is the relative energy expenditure when using snowshoes?
Measuring the amount of oxygen that the body consumes when walking with snowshoes is the best way to know the relative energy expenditure of this activity. Such a value, also known as VO2 max, is expressed in thousand/min/kg. The ml is the amount of oxygen absorbed and the kg is the weight of the person.
A healthy person has a maximum respiratory capacity of between 40 and 45.
Currently, different tests have allowed us to know that the oxygen requirements of this activity are between 20 and 25 ml/min/kg. This, in a nutshell, means that it is a moderately demanding practice.
In what terrain conditions can kids snowshoes be used?
For snowshoes to be used, the accumulated snow layer on the ground must be at least 15 centimeters thick. Also, it has to be soft or ‘sandy’.
Under no circumstances should snowshoes be used to walk on ice, as these do not work on smooth surfaces. It is also not recommended to use it when walking on slopes with too steep an incline.
Are there snowshoes for dogs?
Yes, there are snowshoes for dogs. In addition, they can be found at affordable prices. If you buy a pair of these for your pet or your children, you should keep in mind that the walk in the snow requires a certain resistance. So you should always start with short runs.
Besides, if your dog has dense fur, in order to fit the rackets well you will have to collect or cut the excess hair from the legs and between the fingers. It is also possible to purchase foot wax. This is not expensive and will serve to keep your dog’s paws warm throughout the journey.
Snowshoeing is an activity that requires little learning time. In return, it can bring great entertainment to the whole family. To this, we must add the fact that the design of the rackets is quite simple. If you want one, the most important thing is to look at its load capacity and type of fastening.
Knowing the material from which the kids snowshoes of your interest are made is, possibly, the other piece of information that you should inquire about. Apart from that, the most important thing is to follow conventional security measures to avoid potential risks.