Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme 2023/2024: Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong offers Ph.D. Fellowship to International students.
Application Deadline: 1st December 2022 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00
Offered Annually? Yes
About Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme:
The Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), established in 2009 by the Research Grants Council (RGC), aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their Ph.D. programs in Hong Kong’s institutions. About 300 Ph.D. Fellowships will be awarded this academic year. For awardees who need more than three years to complete the Ph.D. degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen institutions. Financial aid is available for any field of study.
Eligibility: Candidates who are seeking admission as new full-time Ph.D. students in the following eight institutions, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience, and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
Selection Criteria: While candidates’ academic excellence is the primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
Number of Awards: 300
Value of Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme:
The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$325,200 (approximately US$41,690) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,740) per year for each awardee for a period of up to three years. 300 Ph.D. Fellowships will be awarded in the 2023/24 academic year*. For awardees who need more than three years to complete the Ph.D. degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
Selection Panel: Shortlisted applications, subject to their areas of study, will be reviewed by one of the following two Selection Panels comprising experts in the relevant board areas:
- sciences, medicine, engineering, and technology
- humanities, social sciences, and business studies
Application Process for Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme:
- Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 1 December 2022 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00 before submitting applications for Ph.D. admission to their desired universities.
- Applicants may choose up to two programs/departments at one or two universities for Ph.D. study under HKPFS 2023/24. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programs.
- As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
Visit the Scholarship webpage for more details