A lot has happened since the appearance in 1948 of the first commercial instant camera, the model 95 Land Camera. Throughout these seven decades, instant cameras like the Unifi G3 Instant Camera have seen better and worse times. However, despite the advent of digital cameras, they remain very popular.
The magic of being able to enjoy a photo immediately after capturing it is priceless. In any case, choosing the right instant camera model is not always easy. It is necessary to take into account a series of questions and purchase criteria. To make your task easier, we have prepared this complete guide with emphasis on the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera.
- The latest trend is digital and hybrid instant cameras that allow you to choose and edit your photos before they are printed. However, many prefer to experience and continue to opt for the more classic models like the Unifi G3 Instant Camera.
- There is no doubt that the two most prestigious manufacturers of instant cameras are Fujifilm and Polaroid. However, both Leica, UBNT, and Lomography are also brands that have made a strong commitment to this type of device, which is why they enjoy great popularity.
- As with any photographic camera, you can use the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera to capture memories of your travels or special moments. Likewise, you can use them for security purposes and at parties and special events, or even to introduce children and young people to the fascinating world of photography.
The Instant cameras on the market worthy of Note
Even though this post is mainly focused on the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera, we present a classification with the five best instant cameras available on the market. In any case, they are all products that stand out for offering excellent value for money and for being from recognized brands.
1. Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera
The Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera has been very popular since it was released, selling out almost as soon as new stock comes in, especially on Amazon. But what is really this UniFi camera, and what makes it so popular among users?
The Unifi G3 Instant Camera delivers sharp 1080p Full HD video over dual-band Wi-Fi in a compact form. Its automatic, integrated IR LEDs provide clear video footage even for night-time surveillance. The G3 Instant with two-way audio is conveniently powered by an AC power adapter, or with an 802.3af PoE to USB adapter.
You can quickly and easily adopt the camera via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth from the UniFi Protect mobile app for integration into your existing network.
- Built-in microphone and speaker for two-way audio
- Powered by AC adapter (included) or Instant 802.3af PoE to USB adapter.
- A 133-degree Wide-angle lens, and
- A small, wall-mountable form factor
Note: An OS Console (e.g., Dream Machine Pro, Network Video Recorder, Cloud Key Gen2 Plus ) and the application are required to use the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera.
Most importantly, the Unifi G3 Instant Camera is extremely affordable. Home users love them because most home users don’t always have hundreds of dollars to spare on a single camera.
What’s more, everyone can benefit from an additional security measure and the G3 Instant slashes the price for anyone looking to add such an extra layer of security measure to their home.
What cameras work with UniFi Protect?
The Unifi Protect is compatible with all G2, the G3, and G4 cameras and doorbells with the prefix UVC (UVC, UVC-G3, and UVC-G4), as well as all, Protect IoT devices with UFP and UP prefixes.
UniFi Protect does not support ONVIF, and only Ubiquiti UniFi Cameras are supported.
How do I connect my UniFi camera?
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the camera.
- Insert a microSD card (optional).
- Perform the camera mounting steps (Wall Mount or Pole Mount).
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the PoE Adapter or a Ubiquiti Networks Switch
The Bad about the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera
- All data transfer is done over WiFi
- There’s a supplied mount for the camera, but if you mount it on the wall the routing of your cable is going to dangle right down to the power outlet. However, an Unifi G3 Flex can help you have a wired connection.
- You’re never going to be able to mount the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera in the corner of a room where two walls meet the ceiling for maximum visibility.
- The G3 Instant has no weatherproofing or vandal proofing ratings, making it an indoor-only camera.
2. Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 – Instant camera, Solo camera
The Fujifilm Instax Mini 9, unlike the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera, is an analog camera that stands out for including a mirror for selfies. Its firing speed is 1/60 seconds. In addition, it has an automatic flash that unfortunately cannot be deactivated. It uses AA batteries as a battery, offering a range of about 100 shots.
The Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 has exposure control with five different modes. It is a compact camera with a fairly resistant body and a really comfortable and secure grip. Its attractive and elegant design is available in a wide range of attractive colors. The film format he uses is the Instax Mini.
Editorial evaluation : If you are looking for an instant camera to take selfies, this model is almost a must buy. In addition, the materials with which it is made give it a long useful life.
3. Instax Fujifilm Mini 90 Neo Classic, Brown/Silver
The Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic, just like the Unifi G3 Instant Camera, offers virtually unbeatable value for money. It is an instant camera equipped with analog technology and with an attractive retro design. The Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic has an 8x optical zoom, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and a high-performance flash.
It features six automatic shooting modes that you can choose from by turning the handy mode dial. In addition, it allows brightness control and consists of a tripod thread. It also comes with a self-timer to take one or two photos at the same time. Uses Fujifilm Instax Mini film.
Editorial evaluation : Despite its unique vintage design , this instant camera does not compromise on cutting-edge technology, such as its rechargeable lithium-ion battery. We also like it for its attractive price.
What you should know about instant cameras
When it comes time to buy an instant camera, it is essential that you take into account a series of important issues. As you can imagine, there are different models of instant cameras and each one offers different features.
Instant cameras are analog or digital photographic devices that allow you to capture static or motion pictures and obtain a copy on photographic paper practically instantly, or at most a few minutes later. To achieve this, they use photographic films with which a single positive image is achieved. However, the newer versions like the Unifi G3 Instant Camera can use wifi to transfer data.
For whom is it advisable to buy an instant camera?
Instant cameras are ideal for all those people who look at life in a different way. Also for children, since they are ideal to introduce them to the world of photography. They are also recommended for photography professionals who work in events where instant photos are required.
As you can tell by now, the Unifi G3 Instant Camera is no business-grade security solution – but in its defense, it was never intended to be. At such a cheap price, this G3 Instant Camera is more or less a toy for tech heads and has some genuinely useful applications.
If you’re a home user or a small business without serious security concern and wants a cheap, easy remote monitoring solution, then the Unifi Protect G3 Instant Camera is for you.
If an extra eye is all you need somewhere, the G3 Instant is so affordable that it makes complete sense to get one now.
While the picture quality itself isn’t too impressive, it’s more than acceptable for a security camera and the wide FoV is nice and the IR performance is also good for the price too.